Monday, November 5, 2012

On Mondays and my good life

"I know today is Monday and you assume it’s going to suck, but according to statistics, there will be over 5,000 weddings; 10,000 childbirths; and 42 million hugs occurring today throughout the United States. Also today, there will be at least 4 people that will win the multimillion dollar lotteries; 600 people will get promotions at work . . . There will also be 600 dogs adopted; 35,000 balloons sold; and 800,000 skittles eaten. Plus, the words “I love you” will be said over 9 million times. So again, I know today is Monday and you assume it’s going to suck, but just smile, because according to statistics, it should actually be a really nice day."

I've not been able to find the source of that quote but it's a good one. All in all, Mondays are not overly terrible. Sometimes it really is just easier to blame the day of the week. Shifting blame is something that comes quite naturally to us. I figure shifting the blame to it being Monday is better than shifting the blame to an actual person, you know?


But Mondays aside, life is good. Yesterday I got to catch up with Jordan as he changed the strings on my ukulele in exchange for dinner. (My ukulele sounds absolutely fantastic now.) We honestly had not seen each other or really talked in a month. A whole month. (If you told me in July that I would go a whole month without genuinely talking to Jordan I would not have believed you.) When he looked at me and wholeheartedly asked, "Anna, how have you been?" I had to stop for a moment to collect my thoughts. My mind first went to a week not so long ago that Jeffrey absolutely made my life easier/improved it by 10,000% but by and large, I've been great. There are good times and bad times but the times are still quite good even when they're bad. 



"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant."

That's a brilliant quote from Doctor Who and definitely sums up college life, and I'm assuming life in general. If I think about just my last two weeks the pile of good things is definitely bigger than the pile of bad things.

Friday I made dinner with Brooke and then I stayed up too late talking with Peter, Kirk and Kyle.


Saturday I did a little homework, went to work, bought groceries and hung out with a bunch of friends. One of the boys said I smelled really good so that was a nice compliment. And Ben said I looked nice with my hair pulled back. I can't really remember the last time I got compliments like those so that made my so-so day undoubtedly awesome.


Sunday we all got an extra hour of sleep, I got a lot of homework done, I made dinner & Jordan came over (as previously mentioned.) Jordan also gave me ice cream. Much later on, Peter, Kirk and Kyle all came over to try the stew I'd made for dinner. And for the second time in three days I stayed up too late talking; this time it was only with Kirk and Kyle, though.


And today was made great because Kyle let me come over for homemade pumpkin pie. My love for pie, especially of the pumpkin variety, knows no bounds. I thanked him profusely but I doubt he really understands how much I really appreciated it. 


But now it's time to get back to my homework. I've got some planning to do for my pitch for the bridal guide . . . Yes, I am writing a "how-to" article for one of BYU's bridal guides. And no, I have absolutely no experience with weddings/wedding planning. I'll let you know how this all turns out.


Last YouTube video I watched: Parks and Rec theme for piano

No comments: