Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Pact

The day before my best friend from back home left to go back to school, we made a pact. [I say my best friend from back home because a) I don't take the word lightly, b) I have a college best friend, and c) I have an all-time best friend who I will most likely never talk to again. I feel the distinction is necessary]

Now, this pact is kind of a big deal. It's not that we weren't social during our freshman year but we both know we could have done more. And so we came up with this: We both must go on at least one date by Halloween. Double bonus points if you ask the boy.

At the time this seemed easy. I was an idiot for thinking that. Here are some stats:

Number of dates I've been on: 3
Number of dates I've been on with boys named Matthew: 3 [Two different Matthews who were roommates]
Number of dates I've been on where I asked the boy: 2
Number of dates I've been on that lasted till 2 AM: 1
Number of dates I've been on where the guy asked me just to ask me and not because we were particularly good friends who knew the company would be enjoyed: 0

As you can tell, I'm not exactly versed in the Utah world of dating. Yet I still thought sophomore year would be different. During the summer I continually had this feeling that dating in general this year would be somehow easier. That I actually would go on dates. Looking back I can't believe I ever thought such a thing.

So now it's almost the middle of October and I have yet to go on a date. I've known since the middle of September that I would have to ask a boy, too. It's really the only way I will fulfill this pact. I really am okay with this. I don't care much what people think of me and I've had my fair share of date rejection [I was rejected twice for the Harry Potter dance last year before finally going on my second date w/ one of the Matthews].

This week I'm going to crank up the searching, really get down to business . . . to defeat the Huns. Or you know, get a date before October 31st.

Wish me luck . . .

No comments: