Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Daily Grind

I arrived back in Utah on Tuesday night around 11, though by the time the baggage actually reached the carousel and my friend got through the mess that is Salt Lake's crazy pick-up zone, we got to our apartments just after 1 in the morning. What a day it was.

The next day, the first day of classes, went off without a hitch. I honestly feel like I haven't been gone, which is slightly disappointing, though it happens every semester. My classes are going to be a heck of a lot of work but so worth it. I'm writing for my university's newspaper. About sports too! My goal in life is literally becoming true. Granted, the number of people reading about gymnastics and swimming/diving will probably be kind of low, I'm excited all the same. At some point I'm sure I'll link to some story I write. I'll be working with a lot of really cool people, which will make the experience both easier and more fun.

The focus of basically all of my classes this semester is reading lots of stuff and then writing lots of stuff. It will doubtless be good for me but I'm nervous all the same. I mean, I like writing a lot, but I also worry that all this school writing will maybe ruin writing for me. It will only be ruined for me if I let it, I suppose, but you can probably get what I'm saying. Have no fear, I will still update my blog as regularly as I can. I figured I best be updating right away in case the rest of the month goes by, as I imagine it will, and by that time I will have (possibly) forgotten about what I've gone through at the beginning.

It is most definitely intimidating to think I'll be writing around two stories a week for the newspaper. Add on top of that other class work for the lab. Then there's my research methods class that includes a semester long project of a research article, a requirement of which is to interview 30 people on the subject. There is also my media law class, one which is basically filled with three big papers. But I can't forget my pop culture and media class, which is also writing intensive. And then there's my random history class that I wanted to take because the professor is awesome and the religious history of the United States really fascinates me; there's a few papers in that class but no midterm, but there is also a lot of reading. All of that adds up to 15 credits, which is really not that many, it's quite average really, but the classes themselves are just so full of information and stuff to learn. I imagine most of the professors are cramming stuff in, just barely getting through what they need to, and not even getting into as much detail as they would like. At this point, I'm sure it will be my toughest semester yet, but at the same time I kind of feel like it will be my worst semester of them all, just because I have no idea what to expect of the journalism program.

I'm not worried, though. It's going to be a lot of work, oh is it ever. But I can handle it. I've gotten this far and there's no going back now. And with the event that shall not be named having happened . . . Well, let's just say I have a lot of free time that was once devoted to other activities and endeavors; it's both a blessing and a saddening thought. One reason it's a blessing is because on school nights I've decided I'm going to go to bed before 1; I didn't stay out ridiculously late last semester but I'm pretty sure going to bed earlier will benefit me. One reason it's saddening is because I no longer get to do seemingly irresponsible and unnecessary things on school nights, like staying out late.

Last YouTube video I watched: Relationship Resolutions

No comments: