Sunday, September 16, 2012

#VPLCT

VPLCT. More commonly known as the Varsity Parking Lot Camping Team. It's a thing I'm now a part of. What does this "team" do exactly?

We camp. In parking lots. And we're varsity because we're so good at it.

Friday night the VPLCT camped on the sidewalk outside of the Wilk. What was so important that we needed to pitch a tent on cement? The lost and found sale. Every year once the lost and found is overrun with all sorts of items they sell it back to the students at insanely low prices.

This was my first lost and found sale and my first VPLCT event but it sure won't be my last.

Becca and I arrived on the scene around 7:30 or 8:00 at night. Ryan had already been there since 2:00 in the afternoon. Yes, that's right, 2 pm: as in SEVENTEEN hours before the sale actually began. For most of the evening we sat around in camp chairs and on blankets, eating cookies, playing games, singing songs on occasion. No one else showed up to camp until 11:00.

The real fun came when it was time to set up The Duchess, also known as the VPLCT's latest sleeping structure/tent. (The previous tent was Gigantor.) The Duchess is a "ten person" tent. I put that in quotes because we're not fooling anybody: you can fit way more than ten people in that tent. We sure did.

This isn't even everyone...
We watched a movie and then hunkered down for the night. And by "for the night" I really mean for three hours. We went to bed around 2:30 and work up sometime around 5:30. Interesting things happen when you get only 3 hours of sleep, the most exciting thing being lots of things are way funnier than they would be otherwise. I was finally woken up by people quoting Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Don't get me wrong, I love Dr. Horrible, but the jokes they were re-telling shouldn't have been as funny as everyone made them out to be on that early morning. The doors to the Wilk opened at six, at which time we migrated into the building and lounged around on linoleum floors. An hour later we were let into a "holding room" of sorts. This room had a brick-like floor, pretty cement-like as well. (I'd venture to say it was the least comfortable floor of them all.) 



The VPLCT means serious business. We literally huddled up and created a game plan. All this ground-lounging was worth it. We were the first to go through the doors at the sale. And what sorts of things do you find at a collegiate lost and found sale? EVERYTHING. Shirts, jackets, pants, shoes, electronics of all kinds, jewelry, water bottles, sunglasses, etc. People lose a lot of stuff.

So what's the point of it all? I spent all night on campus. In a tent. With people I've come to know pretty well in the past year or so. The point of this for me was not the cheap stuff. I mean, it didn't hurt to get headphones and sunglasses for 50 cents, but the point of camping out for a sale of lost belongings was the fact that I'll never get to do stuff like it again. 

This is senior year (technically). Senior year means doing crazy stuff with crazy people.


Last YouTube video I watched: How to get someone to like you

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your friends with Taylor! I love that girl. I worked with her at the MTC :)