Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Wise words from friends

My advice to everyone reading this: Stop focusing on that huge, daunting task in front of you that seems so ominous and so endless. Stop staring at that long line of grass, wondering just how far it drags on. Start taking things bit by bit, day by day. Start focusing on those little patches of grass, remembering at every step of the way how beautiful each and every individual cluster is. And before you know it, that long line of grass will be a thing of the past. 
Not only will that big task go by much more quickly, but you'll have so much more fun along the way. You'll be able to focus on the wonder and beauty in the little things — all the little things that make up this crazy, beautiful thing we call life. 
I woke up this morning and the first thing I did after looking at my e-mail was check Blogger. I'm not sure why; usually Twitter gets looked at way sooner. I'm glad I did though because I got to read my dear Taylor's latest post about her time interning in Germany. Everything she wrote isn't particularly "new" and it's not like we all haven't heard that kind of stuff a hundred times already in life, but does that make it any less true? Not at all

The thing about Taylor and I, even though we're on completely different sides of the world right now and experiencing completely different things, we're still coming to learn the same things. It's been so fun to write mile-long Facebook messages to each other, all full of encouragement and kind words, knowing we're helping each other through life.

Life is hard, my friends. But that's okay because life is also totally awesome. It's just hard to remember that some times.
Day by day, minute by minute, second by second we went from where we were to where we are now. The lives of all of us, of course, go through similar alterations and changes. The difference between the changes in my life and the changes in yours is only in the details. Time never stands still; it must steadily march on, and with the marching come the changes. -Thomas S. Monson
Take today for instance: we said our farewells to Lorraine. That was incredibly difficult, but also totally awesome because she's going to do marvelous things in France. But time will march on and things will change. That doesn't mean we won't be happy, though. On the contrary, I'm sure some of our happiest days are yet to come.

No comments: