Thursday, August 26, 2010

Nebraska is . . .

better than Wyoming. I know this due to experience.

Today, my dad, my brother, and I left for Utah. [HOORAY] The trip's been fine. Honestly, there's nothing to say. EXCEPT THAT I READ MOCKINGJAY. There be spoilers down below so BE CAREFUL. [Not legit spoilers but stuff about Gale. Becca knows I have a thing for Gale]


SPOILERS BELOW













I have a thing for guy friends, so Gale will always hold a special place in my heart. I always have had guy friends, I always will have guy friends. The first year of college only solidified this. I always knew Katniss and Gale wouldn't end up together; how could anyone really separate her and Peeta? But that doesn't mean I don't love Gale. Because I do. A lot.

Gale is a combination of a bunch of guy friends I have acquired over the past year. When I put together the top 2 or 3 guy friends I made at college, you have Gale. One provides his listening ear, his continual kindness, and some great hugs; I definitely have the feeling Gale gives great hugs. Another provides his understanding of my life, something I don't find often. Another provides his all around love, a little more listening ear, and the ability to sit in comfortable silence. I'm not even kidding about this last one: all of my guy friends are good looking, so clearly they have that like Gale, too. Everything about Gale as Katniss's best friend reminds me of my closest guy friends.

The other reason I love Gale is because I kind of am Gale. Well, I'm clearly not a guy and I don't have to support a huge family but you have to realize at this point that I am not being literal. Gale knows that Katniss can't forgive him, at least not yet she can't. She doesn't hate him, she does want to forgive him, but it's hard to do. Gale knows the damage he has done, unintentional or otherwise. And yet . . . Gale forgives Katniss. He does not begrudge her anything. He loves her so much that he can let her go. Some of you may think, "What would Gale have to forgive Katniss of anyway?!" If you can't realize that, well, you need to re-read this book. Friendship is a two-way street; they are both only human. This is where I come in. I have always been quick to forgive; I may not forget right away but I definitely forgive. I am the person that will give up on someone they love if it will make them happy. It hasn't really happened yet in that way but this summer I have had to give someone up. I want my friends to be happy, more than anything. I put away my own feelings so that they may be happy. Sometimes you just know that you can't be with someone. It's not easy to let go but it's easier than the alternative, whatever that may be. Gale knows he can't be with Katniss, he truly does.

And that makes me love him even more.

1 comment:

Fickle Cattle said...

I really should read Mockingjay. Everyone's talking about it, and I have no idea what it is.

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/