Monday, November 7, 2011

Kindness and Caring

Today I experienced one of those little blessings that make life significantly better.

For most of the afternoon I had a pretty bad headache; it started out as a dull throb and eventually turned into me barely staying awake in class. Throughout the day I'd been asking friends if they had any ibuprofen or similar medicine and no one did. I kept thinking that if I just ate something or drank more water I would feel better, and I did for a very short while.

The worst part of the day was when I took a midterm on grammar and style. I wanted to get in and out of the testing center as fast as possible. The test was 65 questions, each question with 2 to 4 options to sort through, and some questions were continuations of others. I was done in 15 minutes. As I walked down the stairs to the scoring screen, I was just happy to be over and done with it. And then I saw my score. I got 100%. I really don't understand how that happened. I feel like I barely read a lot of the questions. But that wasn't even the sweet blessing of the day.

Once I finished the midterm, I went to work with my group for advertising class on the strategy statement for our Converse All-Stars campaign. I felt slightly better, especially after that test, but things slowly went downhill. I couldn't tough it out anymore. After being there for almost an hour, I finally caved and called a friend & asked him to bring me some Tylenol. It's always sort of hard for me to ask for help in a situation like that, especially when "help" means getting a boy to come all the way back up to campus for all of two minutes of interaction before he turns around and goes back. It really is just an inconvenience.

But he came when I asked, inconvenienced or not. And that was wonderful.

It makes me really happy to know that I have friends like him that will do those somewhat inconvenient tasks for me. Friends like that, or even more specifically boys like that, aren't around all that often. It's reassuring, one of those small moments that mean a lot more than would be expected. At the time, it meant pretty much everything because I could finally start feeling better, except I think I ended up feeling better in more than one way.

So thank you again, my friend. You know who you are.

Last YouTube video I watched: In Your Arms

No comments: