Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Finals week take 2

Remember how at the end of my last post I said I had a final to dominate?

Yeah, I totally did dominate it. I also dominated a second one. Advertising was a 98 percent and, get this, I got 100 percent on my religion final. Is that not wonderful and amazing? When I wrote that post this morning, I did not expect my day to go as nicely as it did. I'm quite astounded. Maybe next time I need to ace some exams I'll go through another dramatic event. They seem to be extra helpful. Utah is looking a little nicer after those little pick-me-ups of great exam scores.

As a Facebook status this morning I wrote that in order to survive finals week I needed the following: a Chipotle burrito, a glass of chocolate milk, watching The Office, and hugs. I haven't gotten my burrito and I don't think I will; hopefully when I get home this will be made a reality. I did get a delicious bottle of chocolate milk at lunch with Lorraine though. I have yet to watch The Office today but I definitely will be before going to sleep. As for the hugs, I've had a fair few of those as well. All in all, I'd say I'm surviving quite nicely.

Now I only have 2 finals left, both of which are scheduled. Italian is tomorrow afternoon and Spanish is late Thursday morning. This week would be shaping up to be absolutely perfect were it not for the event that won't be explained and the fact that I'm leaving on Sunday instead of Thursday evening.

I'm beginning to see that I was greatly misguided in thinking that this finals week would be fun and stress-free. As for who did the misguiding, the responsibility is all mine. Mostly. Not everything is within my control. Is it even possible for finals week to be legitimately stress-free? I don't think so. The days leading up to this week were great. I was hardly stressed at all. Dare I use the word blissful? Because that's probably the best word to describe everything from the last day of classes to yesterday morning. The week so far has been far from blissful and not fun at all, but my stress levels are not that high, surprisingly enough. I just hope it will stay that way.

Last YouTube videos I watched: Breaking Up is Hard: The Miracle of Swindon Town #8 and also this gem Axl Rose: The Miracle of Swindon Town #14 (John Green is very good at explaining things, especially when he's playing FIFA. You get two videos because I just love each of these so much for various reasons.)

And I really actually want to end with these three quotes, also from John Green, because without having read them this morning I don't think my day would have been as nice and manageable as it was.

The good times and the bad times both will pass. It will pass. It will get easier. But the fact that it will get easier does not mean that it doesn't hurt now. And when people try to minimize your pain, they are doing you a disservice. And when you try to minimize your own pain, you're doing yourself a disservice. Don't do that. The truth is that it hurts because it's real. It hurts because it mattered. And that's an important thing to acknowledge to yourself. But that doesn't mean that it won't end, that it won't get better. Because it will.

We all want to do something to mitigate the pain of loss or to turn grief into something positive, to find a silver lining in the clouds. But I believe there is real value in just standing there, being still, being sad.

I know this isn't very helpful, but, um, you're gonna be okay... It's a terrible thing in a lot of ways that everything ends. Like, everything. All of human experience ends. But in other ways it's really liberating... You're gonna be okay.

Yes, John Green, it really will. Have a great week everyone.

No comments: