Sunday, June 24, 2012

Running in Wisconsin

It's a heck of a lot easier than running in Utah. I've found that out very quickly. So far I've gone twice, both times around 2 miles. Running 2 miles in Utah, at least for me, kind of sucked. It definitely helps that everything here is green and just beautiful.

There are, however, a lot of hills within a 2 and 3 mile radius of my house it seems. I forgot about that in the time I was gone. Well, that's not true. I definitely remember them because I always thought about them when I went longboarding. I think my biggest issue with them is the fact that I never ran them before. The area around where I live really isn't that hilly, though. Yes, there are mountains literally right there but I don't run by them. There are big hills in Provo but my running routes don't go near them; I don't run nearly far enough to deal with them. (Yet.) Yeah, the Midwest is generally pretty flat, but not all of it. There are hills galore, at least where I live.

But the running itself is as good as it gets for me. Lorraine uses running to problem solve. It's crazy the stuff she can figure out while running; a lot of the time it's complex math equations and computer programming and fancy math stuff in general. She's basically a running mathematic genius. Anyway, that's not how things work for me. I shut my mind off playing sports. I do enough thinking in the rest of my life. Running still doesn't quite let me do that. Maybe someday it will but I'm not counting on it anytime soon.

So the point of this: running in Wisconsin is great. I love being around trees and greenery, in familiar neighborhoods and running past the houses of people I know. It's nice. Well, the running itself isn't all that nice but what I experience while doing the terrible act of running is. If that makes sense.

Last YouTube video I watched: Learn Me Right - Mumford & Sons with Birdy

No comments: