Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Trees

I've spent most of my free time the last two days in the hospital. Rather I've spent the last two days visiting in the hospital. I'm fine myself.

The hospital is surrounded by trees and fields. (We're sticking w/ trees today. You don't even want to get me started on cornfields.) For lack of the better word, it's out in the country. My family has been on the third floor. And boy, there are some incredible views from these third floor windows. I shouldn't love spending all this time in the hospital, and I don't, but I do love looking out the windows at the end of the hallways. Seeing the geography of the land and experiencing all the different greens is not something you get to enjoy all that often. You can see for miles. And what do you see? Trees, trees and more trees; and they're all sorts of green.

Most people are probably familiar with my love for greenery. I make it abundantly clear, probably every day, how Utah doesn't have enough trees. Campus is quite green and even though I spend a lot of time there I don't spend all my time there. Coming home to Wisconsin is always a treat for the sole fact that trees are everywhere. Down every street, in every yard, anywhere you could possibly imagine. I'm pretty sure it's my dad's fault I feel this way about trees. Our yard has at least 15 huge trees, of the maple, ash, locust and cedar varieties I believe. He always made planting trees seem very exciting. Even now when driving he points out the juxtaposition of the land and trees.

I'm honestly struggling to come up with the words to describe how I feel about trees and how the Wisconsin landscapes makes me feel. I'm sure the way I feel about trees is the way others feel about the mountains in Utah. I really do love the mountains. After 3 or so years in Utah, they're still unreal and I legitimately feel surprised every time I walk out of my apartment or out of a building on campus. It's kind of like, "Whoa, look at all that rock. It's just... there. Impending. Constant. Brown and gray."

It's a real shame I'm never at home in fall anymore. That's when the trees are really magical.

Last YouTube video I watched: Karmin - Hello

No comments: